The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TA – C4D Specialist, NOC
Job Number: 504192
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
- UNICEF Nigeria is currently developing its Country Programme Document (2018-2022). As the vision and strategic direction of the next country programme gets developed, the finalization of the country and field office structure to deliver the desired results will only happen towards the end of the year.
- In Kaduna FO, C4D interventions contributes immensely to achieving programme results through working with people. In the current plan, C4D is mainstreamed across different sectors especially health, nutrition, HIV/AIDS, education and WASH, and plays a key role in achieving the desired sectoral results as envisaged in the state plan. It is in this light and with the current C4D staff retiring on 30th June, there is a need to maintain the current level of work and engagement with state partners, LGAs and communities. A TA at NOC will provide both the continuity and the desired level of management and technical inputs to the C4D programme.
Key Expected Results /Major Responsibilities
Programme Development and Planning:
- Lead programme development on C4D in consultation with programme colleagues in FO and with state partners.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of C4D related outcome and output results, as well as related strategies, through analysis of WASH sector needs and priorities.
- Participate in annual and mid year reviews and preparation of state plans.
- Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical programme transactions, preparing materials/documentations, complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support progress towards the C4D related outcome and/or output results in the Country Programme.
- Under the overall technical guidance of Chief of Section C4D/Polio Communication, ensure C4D interventions are mainstreamed in all programme sectors, appropriate state and LGA plans prepared and implemented.
- Prepare technical reports and inputs for programme preparation and documentation, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevance of information.
Programme Management, Monitoring and Delivery of Results:
- Work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to collect/analyze/ share information on implementation issues, provide solutions on routine programme implementation and alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level interventions and/or decisions. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare reports on results for required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Analyzes and evaluates data to ensure compliance and achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Prepares monitoring and evaluation reports in accordance with the established guidelines, methods and procedures.
- Disseminates communication research findings, ensures exchanges and sharing of experience, lessons learned, best practices, and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures, donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity.
- Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds. Improves programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Technical Advice and Support for Programme Implementation:
- Working closely with sectoral Programme Specialists,
- Support state and LGAs to strengthen Community Institutions (WDCs, VDCs, Traditional and Religious Institutions, NGOs, Faith Based Organizations, CBOs, Youth/Children Organizations) to create demand for integrated services (EFPs) for improved child survival, development, protection and participation.
- Build capacity of State and LGA personnel –H/Educators, NOA COMOs and monitor progress.
- Building community systems including VCMs and Community Volunteers (Demand Creators) to create sustained demand for PMTCT services and prevention in young people.
- Promotion of Hand washing and sanitation facilities in communities and schools.
- Engaged School-based Management Committees in sustained Community mobilization for enrolment and retention of girls in schools.
- Undertake field visits and surveys, collect and share reports with partners/stakeholders. Report critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems to supervisor, for timely action.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in C4D to support programme implementation.
- Work with State and LGAs in developing and implementing C4D IYCF strategies and plans in selected high risk LGAs for malnutrition and setting up of Community support groups to create demand and counsel caregivers for appropriate IYCF and hygiene practices for the prevention of malnutrition in under five children.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of C4D action research and innovation.
- Assist in the preparation of learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall C4D sector development.
Qualifications & Experience
- Advanced university degree in the Social/Behavioural Sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
- Minimum five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the development, planning and management of social development programmes, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
- Gender and diversity awareness
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: